Benefits of Eating Spinach:
– Low in fat & cholesterol
– High in niacin (improves cholesterol levels and lowers cardiovascular risks)
– High in zinc (boosts immune system)
– Good source of protein & fiber
– High in vitamins A, C, E and K, thiamin, vitamin B6, folate, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, copper, and manganese
You might just call this a superfood!
How to Cook Spinach/Recipes:
One of the best parts about spinach is how easy and quick it is to make. All you need is a pan, a tablespoon of olive oil, and, of course, spinach.
– Heat the olive oil in the pan
– When the pan is hot, throw in some spinach. Note: Spinach cooks down to a lot less than you probably think so don’t be afraid to overload that pan a little.
– Cook for about 2 minutes while mixing it up in the pan
– Now you are ready to eat
If you like to eat eggs in the morning, try adding some spinach for an extra healthy boost!
Strawberry Spinach Salad
– 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds
– 1 tablespoon of poppy seeds
– 1/2 cup olive oil
– 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar
– 1/4 teaspoon paprika
– 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
– 1 tablespoon minced onion
– 10 ounces fresh spinach – rinsed, dried, and torn into bite-size pieces
– 1/4 cup almonds, blanched and slivered
– In a medium bowl, whisk together the sesame seeds, poppy seeds, sugar, olive oil, vinegar, paprika, Worcestershire sauce and onion. Cover, and chill for one hour
– In a large bowl, combine the spinach, strawberries and almonds. Pour dressing over salad, and toss. Refrigerate 10 to 15 minutes before serving
Share with us and other truckers how you have or plan to use spinach by using #NoWSpinach & join our Facebook group: Healthy Trucking